Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Party Food!

Josh and I hosted a Super Bowl party yesterday, so I spent Saturday night and Sunday afternoon cleaning and cooking! Since the New Orleans Saints were playing, I thought it would be fitting to make jambalaya. So, I tried out a famous Collins' family recipe. Josh's parents are both from Louisiana, and this is a recipe they have tweaked a little over the years to make their own. So, it may not seem like the traditional jambalaya, but it is very tasty, and a little healthier as well.

I was a little nervous making this dish because it is Josh's favorite thing his parents make. I had never made it before, and did not know if I could live up to the expectations. I was really pleased with the final result-it was great! And Josh liked it too!

So, here is the recipe for Collins' Family Jambalaya:

Ingredients
:
  • 1 whole cooked chicken (you can make this on your own, I just bought a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to save time), torn into pieces
  • 1 lb. Jimmy Dean sage sausage
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • Creole seasonings, salt, and pepper
Directions:
  • Brown sausage and onions on stove (put a little olive oil in pot ahead of time).
  • Add chicken, rice, and water to pot. Bring to boil and stir. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
  • Season with Creole seasonings, salt, and pepper.
I put directions for how I cooked it. I just made a few changes from my in-laws recipe. The only differences were that they cook the sausage and drain it, then cook the onions in the microwave with 2 tbsps. of water for 6 minutes. They then combine all of it and cook as I did.

I also made Smoked-Gouda Chorizo Jalapeno Poppers. This is a recipe I saw on Cooking for Real on Food Network. I made these at our Christmas party this year and loved them, so thought I should make them again! You can find the recipe here. The only changes I made were to use light sour cream and 1/3 less fat cream cheese instead of the regular stuff, you can't tell a difference. I forgot to take a picture of them in all the craziness, but trust me, you want to try this recipe!

In preparation the night before, I shredded the smoked gouda with my awesome food processor. It begins as a solid block of smoked gouda.


Place it in the food processor with the shredding blade on, and in seconds...

Shredded cheese! Voila!


I also made some of my home made salsa the night before. I made a "New Orleans Spicy" version, and an "Indiana Mild." I also bought the nacho cheese sauce you buy at concession stands at football games with tortilla chips and even the little plastic trays you get them in at games. It is one of my guilty pleasures, I try not to have it too much, but I figured this was a special occasion!

Our friend CJ made Shrimp Po' Boys we had seen on Tyler's Ultimate on Food Network. They were really good! He just did shrimp, no oysters, and instead of an actual sandwich, just put the shrimp on top of a slice of bread with the mayo. It was very good. You can find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment