Saturday, January 9, 2010

I would give myself a C for my efforts the past few days...

So, the past few days, my attempts at continuing a healthy lifestyle have been somewhat sub-par. I haven't done really awful yet, but I definitely would not be on the honor roll with my efforts. I have been eating a little bad (Starbucks for breakfast today and Chick-fil-A nuggets for lunch) I did not do any exercising Thursday or today, but yesterday Josh and I did some of the strength and core exercises I worked on earlier this week. Cardio workouts have been non-existent. Although, I did make a playlist tonight for my ipod, so that next week I can start running (and have some great tunes to listen to while doing so). Stay tuned to see how the running goes...


Wednesday dinner and Thursday lunch were both a hot dog with homemade Chex Mix. On Wednesday we kept some of our friends' kids at our house, so I made Chex Mix with them and we did hot dogs. It's such an easy and inexpensive meal for kids. I know hot dogs are not loaded with nutritional value, but looking at the fat and calories, having one isn't all that bad for you. So, if you like hot dogs, I would recommend trying it my favorite way, which is another thing I picked up in New Mexico. I like to top it with diced roasted green chiles, shredded Mexican cheese, mustard, and ketchup. It's very good.

For some reason (I do not remember why), I got on a kick of making my own Chex Mix earlier this year. I think it is much better than the kind that comes in a bag, and I think it may be a little bit healthier (maybe). The recipe is on most Chex cereal boxes, or you can find it here. The only thing I usually change is using cashews instead of mixed nuts because I like them better. Other times I will add or remove something depending on what I have around. The recipe makes a lot, so it is great for parties, traveling, etc. The only problem when trying to eat healthy, is it is easy to eat too much of it. I have to put some in a small bowl to control my portions.



Tonight I tried a new dinner recipe that I had seen on Everyday Italian on Food Network. It was for Prosciutto Lamb Burgers. They were pretty good. Josh really liked them, too. You can find a link to the recipe here. I don't think they were super healthy, but if you have a small one, it would be okay. I made ours bigger than the recipe called for, which I shouldn't have done, because I was only able to eat about half of it, and I am still stuffed. I made a few changes to her recipe. I put fresh mozzarella on it, and after cooking it the recommended time, put it in the oven with the broiler to help melt the cheese and cook the burger a little more. It was still about medium rare, since ours were thicker, I should have cooked them longer. I also put them on ciabatta bread, which I think was a good move. I toasted them in the pan for a minute just before cooking the burgers. I served mine with a salad, which was not that great, so I won't worry about sharing the recipe.

A little hint for those who live here in Lubbock...I bought the ground lamb at Red Raider Meats, which is at Tech in the Meat Science Building (across from the Rec). I have been buying most of our meat there because it is really good, fairly cheap, and frozen in small packages, so it is easy to buy in bulk and pull out as needed. Also, it is a great way to go local!

Well, hopefully next week I will be able to give myself an A for being healthy, we will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment