Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pinterest Favorite

If you're like me and love finding new recipes on Pinterest, there is a good chance you have seen this Mississippi Roast recipe floating around. I have mentioned it on here before, but it's so good (plus I have more pictures), that I thought I should mention it again.  My husband and I are both in love with this recipe. It's that good. Plus it's about the easiest thing you'll ever make. And you can keep most of the ingredients on hand so that you can make it anytime you're at a loss for dinner ideas (or lazy, as I often am).

You will need: pepperoncini peppers, one stick of butter (I know, not the healthiest of meals), one package of Au Jus gravy mix (I just buy the generic brand), one package of ranch dip mix (I buy Simply Organic brand because it's the least expensive at my Albertson's and organic which is a no brainer), and a chuck roast (it doesn't need to be a particular size). I try to only buy meats like roasts when they are on sale. Albertson's (and many other stores) often have deals like buy one get one free, so I try to stock up on them when they run those specials and keep them in my freezer.


Have you ever used Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners? I love these. My slow cooker is very nice, but it's also quite large, heavy, and not dishwasher safe. So these liners are wonderful. Just place it in your slow cooker, add the food, and when you are finished all you have to do is throw it away. No clean up required!


Place the roast in your slow cooker, sprinkle ranch mix and au jus mix over it, place the stick of butter on top, and top with pepperoncinis. The original recipe says five, but as you can see in the picture above, I prefer to use more. They add great flavor and just a hint of spice.

Cook on low for 8 hours. The nice thing about this roast is that if you are not ready to eat right when it's done, it will be fine sitting in the slow cooker a little longer. My slow cooker automatically turns to a "keep warm" setting once the cooking time is finished. I think this last time I ended up leaving it in there on that setting for another 30 minutes or an hour and it was still delicious.


When you are ready to serve it, you can just pull the meat apart with two forks. It should be very tender. You can do this in your slow cooker, but since I use the liner bags in mine, I prefer to place the roast in a large dish and ladle the gravy on top before shredding it. This is also good if you have guests and plan to serve it from the table.


When I made it this week I served it over mashed potatoes, which are great for soaking up all that delicious gravy. I also served it with steamed broccoli so that I could feel a little better about all that butter. I did not put anything on the broccoli knowing that the gravy would mingle with it on the plate giving it plenty of flavor (plus I knew I had most definitely exceeded my butter quota for the day).


Another wonderful thing about this roast (I promise, I will stop talking about it after this), is the option to make an amazing grilled sandwich with the leftovers. I did that tonight. I used my panini press and grilled it on wheat bread with sharp cheddar. When I have Trader Joe's Sourdough Artisan bread around I prefer to use that because it's amazing, but the wheat was just fine for tonight.


2 comments: