Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gorgonzola Grits

As I have mentioned before, I am a big fan of Cooking Light magazine. While perusing this month's issue, I came across this recipe for Skirt Steak with Gorgonzola Polenta. I thought I would give it a try because it is something different from what I normally cook yet still not too difficult. I could not find skirt steak at the grocery store and didn't have the time, energy, or desire to go to another store with a toddler, so I settled for flank steak, which I believed to be similar.

Well, the steak was not exactly a home run. It wasn't terrible, it was just a little tough, and after doing a little online research just now, I discovered that flank steak is generally a tougher cut of beef. The sauce, however, was pretty tasty, although a bit sweet for my personal taste (maybe if I left out the honey it might be better).

I gave the dish a southern spin by replacing the polenta with my own version of gorgonzola grits. I cooked instant grits according to the package directions, replacing the water with low sodium chicken broth. Once the grits were cooked, I stirred in about 1/4 cup of crumbled gorgonzola cheese. It melts into the grits giving them a creamy texture and a wonderful flavor. If you are unfamiliar with gorgonzola, it is an Italian blue cheese. So, if you don't like blue cheese, you may not like this. I don't eat blue cheese much on its own, but in a dish like this I enjoy it.

I also sauteed some fresh baby spinach in a little olive oil with salt and pepper. I placed this on top of the grits and they tasted great together. I will definitely be making these grits again. They would be great on their own, with crumbled bacon mixed in, or with another steak dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment