Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mom For a Week

Last week I went to Mississippi to visit my brother, his wife, and their 2 year old son. It was really fun, and I enjoyed spending time with them since I don't get to see them too often. My sister-in-law is pregnant and on bed rest, so their wonderful church family at First Presbyterian in Jackson has been providing them with meals, which I was able to enjoy while I was there. We had a different meal every night, and they were all great. It is always nice to have meals brought to you, but sometimes it feels like you get too many lasagnas, roasts, and chicken casseroles, so it is nice to have a little variety. They used a website our church uses as well called takethemameal.com. It is great for any time you need to organize bringing meals to friends. You set it up for whoever is needing meals, and send out an email with a link, then everyone can look online and sign up. The person who has set it up can let everyone know of any dietary preferences. In my sister-in-law's case, she needed meals suitable for someone with gestational diabetes, so everyone was able to bring meals with that in mind. Each person that signs up to bring meals types in what they will be bringing on which day, so meals are never repeated. I highly recommend this sight. It is so much more simple for everyone involved!

This week Josh and I are keeping our friends' kids for them while they are on a cruise. They have 6 kids ranging from 20 months old to 12 years old. We know the kids really well, so it is a lot of fun, but it is definitely busy. So taking pictures of meals has not happened yet! We have made some pretty good meals so far: turkey tacos, eggs and bacon, and spaghetti. We also have had sandwiches galore, of all varieties. Today I made a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich (with turkey bacon). I put mayo, country dijon mustard, cheddar cheese, and cooked turkey bacon on wheat bread and grilled it in a pan with a little butter. It was really good, and was a nice alternative to the typical turkey and cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I do have one picture I took of my secret stash of goodies for the week (Josh and I decided we would each need our own stash of sweets). He chose Nilla Wafers for himself, and I chose Newman's Own Hint 'O Mint Newman-O's. They are basically like Oreos, but organic, and with mint flavored creme. I discovered these back in college, but don't buy them too often since they are a little pricey and not all that healthy. But every once and a while I will buy them, and they are so good!



I will try to take pictures and post recipes of meals later this week...but we will see. Being a mother of 6 is a lot of work (even if it is only for a week)!

1 comment:

  1. Heard y'all had a great time last night! Marc loved seeing y'all & wish I could've been there. I hope we can have you guys over this summer!

    ReplyDelete