Monday, January 28, 2013

Cajun Chicken Sandwich


 

Lately I have been trying to save a little money by using meats I have in the freezer and other ingredients I already have in my pantry. So the other night I decided to make one of our favorites, my Cajun Chicken Sandwich. This is so easy to throw together last minute, and if you are like me, you probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen. By the way, have you noticed I have been on a Cajun kick with my egg salad and this? I also cooked jambalaya yesterday and hope to post that recipe for you soon.

To start on this sandwich, you will need one chicken breast, cut in half (this is for two servings). If your chicken is thick, you may want to pound it a little bit. Otherwise it will take a long time to cook, like mine did. Sprinkle Tony Chachere's Creole Seasonings on both sides of chicken. If you do not have Tony's in your pantry, get it now! It's delicious on so many things, it has great flavors and a little spice.

Place chicken in a skillet (or on the grill). Cook over medium-high heat (flipping halfway through) until chicken is cooked through. The times on this will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken. While chicken is cooking, take 2 hamburger buns, drizzle with olive oil and toast on a panini press or in your oven. I had wheat buns around and used those, but something like a ciabatta bun or other artisan bread would be even better.

When chicken is almost finished, top with sliced jarred jalapenos and a slice of cheese (American, cheddar, whatever you like or have in the fridge). Leave in pan or on grill until cheese melts. Then place on bun.


To add a little more flavor, I like to make a mayo to go on the sandwich. Stir together 1 cup of mayo, 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce, and 4-6 dashes of Tabasco (this will depend on how spicy you like it, so adjust to suit your tastes). Spread a little of this on each of the buns and anything leftover can be stored in the fridge.


This is a great meal for a busy weeknight or a weekend cookout with friends! 

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. Nice photographs too :] I also love jambalaya so I'll hafta see how your recipe matches up with my hubby's.

    ReplyDelete