Friday, March 12, 2010

So, It's Been Awhile...

Well, it's been awhile since I posted last, which tells you what kind of eating schedule we have been on (busy nights all week = more fast food than I need). So, for the most part I have been unsuccessful in eating healthy this week. I bought all these wonderful, healthy items to cook with for the week on Sunday, before taking a look at the calendar and realizing we wouldn't have a night at home until today. So, tonight I will turn around. This weekend should be all healthy, home-cooked meals. And next week we will be in Watercolor, Florida for spring break with my brother and his family (plus some kids from their youth group), so I should have some good recipes for big groups plus restaurant reviews from the coast (can't wait for some good seafood)!

I did make one thing this week, in the midst of all the craziness. We had a little party we went to for some friends of ours who just got engaged (congrats Clint and Alexis), so my contribution was a Mexican queso dip.

This is the recipe for my queso dip:

  • 1 32 oz. pkg. Velveeta cheese, cut into chunks
  • 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles (original, but if you don't like spicy, get the mild can), undrained
  • 3 roasted green chiles, chopped (if you don't have fresh, you can use the canned kind)
  • 1 pkg. Mexican chorizo (the package I bought was one link, but I don't remember the actual size)
  • Dash of cumin
  • Dash of chili powder
Cook chorizo in a pan over medium heat. When fully cooked, pour into a colander lined with paper towels (this will help remove a lot of the grease). Wipe pan clean of grease with a paper towel. Return chorizo to pan. Pour remaining ingredients in a pan over medium heat (you can also cook it in the microwave), and keep in pan until all cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.

When serving, I usually place the queso in a fondue pot or slow cooker over low heat. If you leave it in a regular bowl, the cheese will harden.

Well, hopefully I will have some more to report in these next few days than I did last week!

I am leaving you with this picture of the beautiful Lubbock sky I took on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment