This morning I created something glorious, easy, and oh so delicious. When I looked around my kitchen for inspiration for breakfast, I saw a loaf of French bread I bought yesterday. I am planning on using some of it for dinner tonight, but do not need the whole loaf. I decided this would be the perfect foundation for some great French toast. Good bread is a key component when making French toast. I also had 3 pounds of strawberries I bought on sale yesterday and figured they would be a perfect topping.
So with these two components in mind, I didn't need much more. This version is a little lighter than most, using skim milk and adding no sugar (other than what is in the syrup). Here is how to create my Fabulous Light French Toast:
- Cut 4 slices of French bread (about 1 inch. thick)
- Whisk together 1/2 cup of skim milk, 1 egg, and a dash of cinnamon.
- Dip each slice of bread into the milk mixture, making sure both sides are coated.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp. butter in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread to skillet, cook until golden brown, flip bread and cook until other side is golden brown as well.
- Top each serving (2 slices per person) with sliced strawberries and a light drizzle of maple syrup.