Monday, November 26, 2012

Green Smoothie


As I have mentioned before, I am not very good about getting in my daily servings of fruits and veggies so one way I have discovered to help me consume more fruits and veggies (besides juicing), is to make these green smoothies. They taste pretty good and are super easy. Plus, the Greek yogurt adds lots of protein.

The recipe below made one glass for me, a sippy cup full for Jack, and a little leftover to give Josh when he gets home. Jack loves smoothies and drank it all! It's a great way to get kids to have more fruits and veggies too! You can tell them it's a "Monster Smoothie" or a "Christmas Smoothie" if they need a little more coercing. Please forgive my not so exact list of ingredients. I just eyeball it every time and add more of whatever I need.
  • Handful of kale
  • Handful of spinach
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2-1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1-2 cups frozen fruit (I like the tropical fruit mix from Target, their Market Pantry brand)
  • About 1/2-1 cup water, juice, soy milk, or other liquid of your choosing
Blend until smooth, adding more liquid if too thick or more frozen fruit or ice if too thin. If it isn't sweet enough you can add honey or use flavored yogurt instead of plain. You can use whatever leafy greens you have around in place of or in addition to the spinach and kale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment