Monday, May 10, 2010

Southwest Pizza

On Saturday night I created a new dish, a Southwest Pizza. My inspiration came from a pizza I had a few years back in Crested Butte, Colorado at the Secret Stash. My grandparents owned a home in Crested Butte for about 30 years, and I spent lots of time in that wonderful town. I even spent one summer in college living and working there. One of my favorite spots (although that is a long list, there are so many good ones), is the Secret Stash. It's a great little pizza place/restaurant/bar that is so Crested Butte (great hippie vibe). I ate a pizza there that had black beans and corn on it, and found it surprisingly delicious. Their version had more of a barbecue flair, while I took mine in a more southwest direction.

This is how to make my easy Southwest Pizza:

Spread one Pillsbury pizza crust (refrigerated kind you find in a tube) out on a 13 x 9" baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. Pull out of oven and brush with olive oil. Cut a garlic clove in half, then rub on crust. Next, cover crust with shredded colby-jack cheese (leave off of edges to create a crust), then sprinkle with black beans, corn, diced cherry tomatoes, diced roasted green chiles, chopped cilantro, pepper, chili powder, and Mexican seasoning (I used Julio's). I used canned black beans and corn (about 1/2 can of each). For all the other ingredients, you can use as much as looks good to you!

Return pizza to oven and bake for another 12 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden. Cut into 8 rectangular slices for serving.

This pizza was really good! I will be making it again soon! Plus it is inexpensive and very easy!

Side note: The picture is not very good because I had to take it with my phone. Next time I make it I will do a better job!

No comments:

Post a Comment