Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Slow Cooker Steak and Gravy with Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls


As part of my agreement with my friends to write more (see previous post), I took a picture of our dinner tonight so that I could share it with all of you.

Like most American women I have become a huge fan of Pinterest. I especially like it for finding and saving recipes. It's a great way to discover new recipes or to organize your own. Tonight I tried a recipe I pinned awhile back. A friend of mine cooked it for us once and I liked it, so I made a few changes and gave it a whirl. You can find a link to the recipe for Crockpot Cube Steak and Gravy here. The only thing I changed was adding a bag of baby carrots, a sliced onion, and a small bag of red potatoes that I had cut in quarters. I like cooking vegetables with meat in the slow cooker so that I have an entire meal ready to go. You can also use less meat and fill up on the veggies instead. When I plated the meal, I topped it with a little chopped parsley for some color and freshness. It's still kind of an ugly dish, but if you check out the recipe, the blogger freely admits that! I thought the meal was pretty good, but next time I might try a different meat. The cube steak was okay, but not great. I am thinking I might use a pot roast instead. The veggies did well, so I would do those next time. I might also add more flavoring, perhaps another envelope of soup mix, maybe beef broth instead of water, or extra pepper? Looks like I need to experiment a little more. I am a big fan of the slow cooker, so I am trying to beef up my recipe box in that department.

Alongside the steak and gravy I served a little something new I made up last minute, Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls. They were really good, and so easy! Josh and Jack both loved them. I bought Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (the canned kind you find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store), then followed the directions for cooking them, but before rolling them up, I placed a little sharp cheddar cheese inside. After rolling them I sprinkled a little parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and chopped parsley over the rolls and baked them according to the package directions. I think you could make many variations of these rolls with whatever cheese, spices, or other items you might have on hand. Super easy and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment